Microsoft Teams is the free app used for virtual court appearances, hearings, and conferences.
You only have to install the app once.
- Download the app:
- Go to the App Store and search for "Microsoft Teams" or
- Go to the Microsoft website and enter your phone number under "Get the Teams mobile app." Microsoft will text you a link to download the app.
- Install the app
- When the app is done installing, you may see welcome screen asking you to sign in.
Note:You do not need to set up an account and you can exit the app.
- You do not have to test the sound and video in Teams if:
- You have successfully participated in virtual court appearances using Teams previously
- You have downloaded the Teams app and are comfortable with your ability to manage your audio/video settings
- You will be calling into your virtual court appearance using a dial-in number
- Your organization is currently using Teams for meetings that you regularly attend
- If your work or school is not using Teams and you have not signed up for a free Teams account, you may schedule a live meeting with us to test your audio and video.
- Fill out the form to schedule a test meeting time
- You will receive an email response with a link and a scheduled time range for your test.
- At your scheduled testing time, click on the "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" link in the email
- You will join a meeting with court personnel where you can test your audio and video settings
Note: The testing staff members do not have any information on your court proceeding or a specific court’s procedure. Please contact the court directly for any issues regarding your proceeding or that court’s procedure, including when you will receive a link to join your Virtual Court Appearance.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Teams app installed on your device by going to the Apple Website for instructions about how to manually update the Teams app.
- Click on the "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" link in the email invitation at the time of your scheduled virtual court appearance
- The Teams app will open.
- Click on the “Join as a guest” button towards the bottom of your screen. If your organization is using Teams or you have signed up for Teams free account, you can "Sign in and join".
- If this is the first time you are using Microsoft Teams, the app will ask for permission to access the microphone. Click "OK".”
When I join a Teams meeting as a guest, what name should I enter?
Unless you are a witness that needs their identity protected, please enter your full name. It will be very helpful if you add your role too. For example, “John Doe, ADA”, “Jane Smith, Petitioner”.
Why am I not in the meeting once I hit the “Join meeting” button?
Many courts are using the Lobby feature in Teams meetings. If you see this message, you should wait until someone from the court lets you into the meeting.
Click on the video image link below to view a demonstration about how to
- Install Microsoft Teams
- Join a Microsoft Teams meeting
For further assistance, see Testing Your Sound and Video above.
For more information related to virtual courts, please visit our Virtual Court Information Center.